Search This Blog

Friday, April 1, 2011

Multitasking Changed the Way we Process - Part 2

So yesterday I talked about how we appear dumb because of our inability to recall the information we find on google.  But that's incomplete.  More of the reason why we appear dumb is because we don't retain a lot of the information we learn.  Whether it's in school, on google, etc.  Why?  Because we multitask.  We all do it, especially in college.  Work on a paper, text my friend, check facebook, and listen to my Lady Gaga pandora station (no I don't have a Lady Gaga station.  Mine is movie scores).  We do this all at the same time!  We make a deal to ourselves.  After I finish this paragraph, I'll check facebook, as sort of a reward.

Why?  Why are we unable to focus for long periods of time before our mind wanders elsewhere?  Because our brains have been negatively effected by the constant multitasking we do.  And because we are unable to focus and feel the need to check facebook after each paragraph of our paper, "Digital Nation" says we don't string thoughts together.  Instead we tend to write paragraphs of similar nature, completely independent of each other.  (again, the link to that and several other articles will be posted after tomorrow's post)   The thought process has been interrupted, thus our paper is affected.

While we think multitasking is effective, I believe it is not.  What's the phrase?  We only use 20% of our brain?  If that's true, divide that up evenly among paper, facebook, texting and music.  5% to each.  Not to mention any other distractions surrounding us like that cute girl (or guy for my female readers) studying at the next table.  Our brain is still working as much as it usually does, there's just so much more activity it's processing that it focuses on usually one thing at a time.  And if it's homework, I doubt that's our top focus.  Have you ever been listening to music while typing or reading and just gotten so engulfed in that activity that you drown the music out for a bit?  It's pretty trippy when your song ends have you have little recollection of listening to it because of your focus on the other activity.

Well that same processing happens while multitasking, but rarely is our main focus on the true activity we are avoiding with said distractions.  And as I've said, it affects our brains.  And those effects stick.  Because of our constant distractions, we need change, we need multiple things to focus on.  We have shorter attention spans.  Scenes are shorter in music videos.  The average clip in a music video lasts around 3 seconds on average.  (Don't quote me on that number, but I'm confident that it's under 5 seconds)  If you ever watch the news and the anchor is reading a series of stories over a 3 minute span, clips of what your watching on screen change every 4-7 seconds.  (again, don't quote me)

And this affected brain is why, I believe, most movies are shorter then before.  Over last summer and this past semester, I watched several older movies such as The Godfather and Casablanca.  It is so interesting to see how scenes in these movies last for so long.  Story's are rather simple and are built through dialogue and character development.  For the first 20 minutes of the Casablanca, we're in the club seeing all the characters and how Humphrey Bogart's character interacts with them all.  The first half hour of the Godfather is spent switching between Don Corleone's meetings with his clients and the wedding outside.  First watching these movies, I found myself complaining, "Come on, we get the picture, let's move on already."  But that's the point!  These are all plot elements that are important to the story.  We learn about the characters and it sets up the plot.  But we are so used to the fast moving, high action movies of Christopher Nolan and Michael Bay with loud noises, short scenes, and a lot to different elements to focus on, rather then one or two.  (Don't get me wrong, I love Christopher Nolan)

We have the inability to focus for a long time.  This is why we find ourselves skimming or reading the first 2 or 3 paragraphs of articles before moving on.  And news organizations know this, so they put all the necessary information in those first couple paragraphs.  This all correlates to how our society and culture nowadays is fast moving and demanding.  (an issue I will expound upon tomorrow)

Tomorrow I will wrap this up, talking about the society and how I think it will move forward.  Please remember that these are my own thoughts and theories, based on articles I've read, documentaries I've watched and observations.

"Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal." - Arthur Schopenhauer

1 comment:

  1. What was this about? I only skimmed the first paragraph. Can you summarize or condense it for me?

    ReplyDelete