Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Coping with Adversity

This challenge of writing a blog a day came at an inconvenient time.  The work load of my week continues to grow with exams, presentations, papers and attempts to end the year of MUTV programming on a strong note.  Oh and there's that nagging desire and worry that comes with summer internships and jobs.  But as a promise to Evan and to myself, I must write; because facing adversity is the best way of conquering it.

Adversity comes to us in many ways: Physically, mentally, emotionally.  It can be personal adversity or adversity within a group or among friends.  It can be small or large, but regardless of the capacity, it exists.  But the problem stemming from it is not the adversity itself, but rather how one copes and handles the situations at hand.

Some coping mechanisms are healthy while others are not.  There are conflict oriented people and people who avoid it at all cost.  I'm not one of those people.  My rational self hates adversity and looks to overcome it as soon as possible, even though I know for a fact that it cannot be solved until a later date.  I don't run away from it because it won't go away on it's own.  There's just that nagging weight of whatever is bugging you.  Comfort cannot be achieved until that weight is off your shoulder.  It sucks man.  But like I said, dealing with that adversity is where true character is revealed.

If the adversity facing me cannot be solved right away, like the current giant question mark on the summer internship box, I find it best to take my mind off of it with comedy.  I don't find yelling or screaming particularly useful when it comes to getting your point across or fixing a problem.  Stress is understandable, but it doesn't do anyone good to take your anger out on a person.  If anything, it makes you more angry.

Studying communication is interesting.  I tend to be more conscientious of communication theories in real life.  And I see myself being more consciences of my personal actions and sayings.  Whether that's conflict resolution or speaking with a friend.  One of my professors challenged us today to "stop complaining."  She's reading a book about complaining and showed us a short video basically explaining how complaining accomplishes nothing.  So I've accepted that challenge and offering one out now:  Think of how you cope with conflict and adversity.  Why does this mechanism work for you?  Is there possibly a better way to handle it?  Think about this and see the accompanying poll.

"Pain is inevitable.  Suffering is optional." - M. Kathleen Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment