Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My First Post- Follow your dreams

So I'm new at this whole blogging thing.  I'm a college sophomore at Marquette University studying broadcast and electronic communication.  My desires with this degree are to someday be a play-by-play announcer.  A few announcers, Al Michaels, Ian Eagle, and Bob Costas (just to name a few) have perfected this art and I wish to be as great as them someday.

However, sometimes being on air with TV annoys me.  I have done several reporting packages for MUTV Sports (a student run television station at Marquette) and I absolutely love it, don't get me wrong.  But at times, the material seems to be really redundant.  And I get that feeling seeing as most of the work I do for reporting are game recaps from Marquette Soccer, Volleyball and Basketball.  Occasionally I get the wonderful opportunity to do a package for our hit show "Marquette Basketball Weekly."  The stories I've done for that included the men's basketball team donating turkeys to families in Milwaukee during Thanksgiving and a spotlight on the life of a Marquette basketball parent.

I found that the reason I get annoyed with doing game recaps and being on air is that I don't really have the "producer's eye" of finding a good, hard hitting story.  And I think a lot of that stems from my lack of creativity.  I don't consider myself much of a creative person, and that bugs me, a lot.  So my goal as I continue through college and life is to improve that creativity, to look for stories.

I was at a college visit at Northern Illinois University and ran into a classmate of mine and his father, who's a sports journalist.  Through the general discussions of "oh what's your intended major" and all the following ice breakers, we talked about broadcasting and he left me with this advice:  "Anyone, and almost everyone, will try to be on air and can be great at it.  But mastering the art behind the camera will be more beneficial in the long run."

That advice holds true, and is the big reason why I wish to be a better producer or director in the world of broadcasting.  By perfecting this art, being able to come up with good stories, I hope to achieve my dreams and see success in the future.  My only hinderance in this is my obtuse eye for creativity.

The word of the day on "Wherever you Are..." is persevere.  Follow your dreams and do not let any personal hinderances or disabilities get in the way.

One step I am doing to sharpen my eye for creativity is writing this blog.  You'll learn more about me and about why my blogs will have an inspirational tone as I post more.  But my goal is to help my readers through the simple, sometimes unnecessary struggles in life by relaying stories in my life.  Hopefully by this, we will all be affected in a positive manner.

"I have learned, that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." - Henry David Thoreau

1 comment: